Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Outerwear Dilemma

As I sit inside, looking forward to bundling up on the couch with a blanket, I’m wondering what winter coat I should buy. I love my black, A-line raincoat; its classic lines have helped dress up my jeans for several seasons. The problem: It’s not warm enough once the rain turns to snow. Living in Western Oregon doesn’t always guarantee the white stuff, but I know it will get colder.

Since I tend to like classic designs, I’ve been keeping an eye out for warmly lined trench coats. (Mine allows just enough room for a heavy sweater but not much range of motion in the arms.) This trench from Avenue.com ($59.95) is nice, but I don’t always like the double-breasted look. It seems to add width where I don’t want it. The fabric belt would help cinch in the waist, though.

Another classic, the pea coat, doesn’t look right on me, either. I love the look of them, but again, they’re double-breasted! I suppose that’s what gives them their signature look. If you want a pea coat, check out this one at Lane Bryant ($159.50).

My ultimate choice for a fall to winter coat may be a swing coat. An A-line shape with a mid-thigh length makes it the perfect choice to wear over jeans, dresses and suits. Usually they’re made of wool. And wet wool isn’t appealing. Maybe I’ll find a water repellant coat. Until then, I’ll keep the JCPenney coat (bottom left, $129.99) or the
Jessica London coat (bottom right, $139.99) in mind.

What’s your outerwear of choice for cold weather? Functional parka or stylish trench? Let me know by commenting below or e-mailing me at cori@skorchmagazine.com.

-Cori Stoddard, SKORCH online editor

1 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to buy stylish and trendy dresses from Brooks Brothers store at very discounted price....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home